Wednesday 11 February 2009

A Captive Audience

Monday 9th February, I attended a most wonderful dinner, near Hurlford by Kilmarnock. I had been asked to act as Chairman for the function, and propose the Immortal Memory, and I took along two Bowhill stalwarts, Kev Thomson and Dougie Abercrombie to provide a few songs and poems. The dinner comprised beautiful cock a leekie soup, and mountains of the best haggis neeps and tatties I have enjoyed in a long time all served in great humour by some of the residents.
The entertainment had begun of course with Dougie giving a dramatic Address to the Haggis setting the tone for a good night, and Father Eddie McGhee gave the Selkirk Grace to the reverential company, but now we were into the main programme, and I could not have had a better duo than Kev and Dougie to provide a great and varied first spot which really got the company cheered. I did not want to dull the mood so kept my Immortal Memory both cursory and brief, before Father Eddie rose again to give a superb rendering of Tam O' Shanter, and then I handed back to Dougie and Kev for another big selection. The event finished of course with thanks all round before we rose for Auld Lang Syne, and the residents had to file off to their quarters shortly after nine, I think they all had a good time, they raised a bit of money for Yorkhill Children's Hospital and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience, I will long remember my Burns Supper at Her Majesty's Prison, Kilmarnock.

2 comments:

Dougie Abercrombie said...

Grateful for the kind comments from our President and for being "Conned" into this unique event.All sentiments echoed.Also present were Rt.Hon Des Brown MP,Cathy Jamieson&Willie Coffey MSP's-all great company&each encouraged to join/support "Fed.".Can only hope the inmates continue the same enthusiasm "straight" from their release.Despite wintry weather perhaps a bed for the night against the long trip home to the Kingdom o' Fife was not a good option?

keltickev said...

...and could I add that it was indeed a wonderful night from a performer's point of view. Despite or maybe because of their unique situation the audience members were the most enthusiastic I have heard in a long time - giving Dougie and I a standing ovation and much cheering at the end. I found the whole thing quite moving and was delighted to have brought some cheer into their lives for a short while. Incidentally, the behaviour and order were faultless and, as Bill, said, the meal was excellent. We are awaiting some pictures which will add much to the tale of the event.